The Farmers Insurance Open Returns to La Jolla January 26th
The Farmers Insurance Open Returns to La Jolla January 26, 2022
The upcoming Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines Golf Course in San Diego is the golf event of the year! It has been held at Torrey Pines every year since 1968. Jon Rahm, Jason Day, and Gary Woodland are the favorites.
Opening Day is on Thursday, January 24, and each day through Sunday, January 27 holds a Championship round in the morning. Here’s the schedule breakdown for the week:
- Wednesday, January 26
- Opening Round, North and South Courses
- Opening Day is presented by Michelob ULTRA
- Thursday, January 27
- Second Round, North and South Courses
- Friday, January 28
- Third Round, South Course
- Saturday, January 29
- Final Round, South Course
- Champion’s Day presented by TaylorMade
History of the Farmers Insurance Open
The tournament (originally called the San Diego Open) was first played in Chula Vista, then moved in 1954 to Rancho Santa Fe Golf Club in Rancho Santa Fe, which had hosted the Crosby Pro-Am prior to World War II. The event was played at Mission Valley Country Club in San Diego in 1955 for one year, then moved to El Cajon in 1956.
In 1968, the event began its present relationship with Torrey Pines Golf Course in La Jolla, a 36-hole public facility owned by the City of San Diego. In the current tournament set-up, players split the first 36 holes between the North and South Courses, then play the final 36 holes on the South Course. In 2008, the South Course hosted the U.S. Open, won by Tiger Woods in a playoff. Today, the Farmers Insurance Open is a PGA Championship tournament known as the “West Coast Swing,” and is organized by The Century Club of San Diego .
6:00 am — Get breakfast! Nearby restaurants include Caroline’s Seaside Cafe open at 8 am, and Farmer & The Seahorse open at 7 am weekdays. The Grill at Torrey Pines also opens at 6 am, situated at The Lodge at Torrey Pines hotel right next to the golf course for a closer breakfast.
8:30 am — Gates Open. If you’re an early bird, now is a great time to get yourself situated and set up your chairs or look for autograph opportunities (Tiger Woods if you get lucky!).
9:00 am — The round opens. You can bring pop-up stools and chairs without their carrying bags, but no lawn chairs or step stools. Times for each of the holes are on the schedule, and the player list is here. Then grab lunch at the event zones found at multiple locations throughout the event. See below for a full list of concession areas and food spots!
3:30 pm — Typically, the day’s round lasts until about 3:30 pm. In the past, there was a Post Party hosted by Harrah’s that kicked off after the end of the rounds. Ticket holders could enjoy drinks and live music while mingling with other tournament attendees.
SERVPRO Fan Village:
- The Michelob ULTRA Zone: Open to the public, the 30,000-square foot Michelob ULTRA Zone features premium food and drink offerings.
- Champions for Youth Tent in the Fan Village: Buy an official Farmers Insurance Open “Keep Calm & Torrey On” quiet paddle. All proceeds benefit at-risk youth charitable organizations!
- Official Merchandise Tent: Shop all Official Tournament gear.
- Fan-Friendly Expo: Try the latest golf equipment, learn more about special offers from Tournament partners, and engage in interactive displays.
- The Fringe: Located on the 15th green. Upgrades on site are available at The Fringe entrance so check out what has become our most popular venue with artisan menu choices for purchase and a premium cash bar.
- The Post Party: When play ends, keep the party going with live music from local DJs and Happy Hour drink specials.
The Swell Coffee Co. Grove (located between the 7th and 18th Fairways):
- Grey Goose 19th Hole and Flight Deck: The expanded Grey Goose 19th Hole and Flight Deck will feature an all-new elevated viewing deck with panoramic views of the course, a PÃ©tanque course and specialty drinks including the 2018 signature cocktail, the Torrey Breeze.
- Concessions and picnic benches
Vantage Point (located near the 1st tee and 18th hole of the South Course).
- Grey Goose La Cantine: Get the morning started with signature Grey Goose Boody Mary
- Practice Putting Green: Watch the Pros as they prepare to play.
- Autograph Area: Snag an autograph from your favorite player after the round.
- Torrey Pines Golf Shop: Buy Official Tournament merchandise and accessories.
The PGA Championship Tour continues after the Farmers Insurance Open with the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am in February, the Genesis Open in Pacific Palisades, and the Honda Classic in Palm Beach, Florida in March. Open tickets and tickets for each upcoming event can be purchased at pgatour.com, along with a complete schedule and list of players. Tee times will be announced as each event approaches. The highly anticipated World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational will be held in August of this year in Akron, Ohio; the current American favorite player for that one is Zach Johnson.