Boo! 5 Halloween Celebrations in La Jolla & San Diego
UPDATE: Looking for 2023 Halloween information? Try our recently updated articles:
- The Ultimate Guide to 12 Halloween Events in San Diego
- San Diego Halloween Events for Kids
- Spooky San Diego: A.I. Dresses Local Landmarks Up for Halloween
Halloween in La Jolla has arrived! From the spooky Haunted Aquarium to the annual Pillage the Village in downtown La Jolla, plus other events nearby in San Diego County, we’ve got you covered on all the best spots to start celebrating. All of these Halloween happenings are family-friendly and make for a great afternoon out with the family! For more information on other events happening in La Jolla, head to our Events page. You may also want to visit our Best Halloween Stores in San Diego page.
Pillage the Village
Downtown La Jolla
Oct. 29th, 3pm – 6pm
It’s almost time for the 7th annual Pillage the Village! Every year, trick-or-treaters in La Jolla walk around the Village in costume and treat the locals to a little Halloween fun. Participating merchants and businesses will have orange and black balloons visible, so you know where you’ll be able to get some goodies. A good starting point is Girard and Prospect. Work your way around downtown La Jolla until you’ve trick-or-treated everywhere!
Haunted Aquarium: Halloween Aglow
Birch Aquarium at Scripps
Friday, Oct. 27 and Saturday, Oct. 28, 6 – 8:30 PM
Halloween at Birch Aquarium is a great experience for the whole family. Enjoy close encounters with Scripps Institution of Oceanography scientists and search the galleries for unusual underwater creatures rarely seen at Birch Aquarium. Your kids will discover a sea of glowing sea creatures, get sticky with slime, and enjoy spooky stories, all while enjoying live music.
- Scripps Institution of Oceanography Scientists showcasing their latest research
- Make your own seaweed slime (and take it home!)
- Frankensquid: Get up close and personal with a huge Humboldt Squid and learn what makes it unique
- Experience a tiny 3-D microscope, developed by Scripps Oceanography scientists.
- Check out spooky species, including skeleton shrimp and sea spiders
- Costume contest — complete with a prize giveaway
- Witness creatures that create their own light and glow in the deep, dark ocean.
- Story time with a spooky shipwreck tale
- Creepy crafts for all ages
- Live music brought to you by Billy Lee and the Swamp Critters
Note: Some activities may vary
Runs through Oct. 31st
Head to Belmont Park as the beachfront amusement park transforms into Fall Fest on weekends in October! Get into the spirit of the season with a game of Zombie laser tag, ride the roller coaster, choose from tons of different crafts, stroll the pumpkin patch, trick-or-treat, and join in the costume contest at this Halloween-themed extravaganza.
Hotel Del Coronado
Oct. 1 -31st
The landmark Hotel Del Coronado (that’s rumored to be haunted) is throwing a rip-roaring bash that welcomes trick-or-treaters ages 4-12. You and your date will rock out like Max Dennison’s parents while your minis are treated to a special costume party of their own that includes dinner and trick-or-treating. This event is a bit of a splurge, but it will make for a memorable event that can only take place on the island.
Check website for dates and times: https://hauntedtrail.net/
If you have younger kids who aren’t quite ready to take on Balboa Park’s Haunted Trail (which is happening throughout the whole month!), take the family to Halloween Family Day instead. More than 24 museums will have a bunch of themed activities, craft projects for kids, costume parades, and other spooky surprises. Participating museums will be offering free admission to children 12 and under (accompanied by a paying adult).
And, for an even more updated list, check out our “12 Halloween Events in San Diego” page!
Media credits: Except where otherwise noted, images copyright LaJolla.com.